What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
People choose esthetic dental procedures/surgery for various reasons—to repair a defect such as a malformed bite or crooked teeth, treat an injury, or just improve their overall appearance. Whatever the reason, the ultimate goal is to restore a beautiful smile.
For these and many other reasons, esthetic dentistry has become a vital and important part of the dental profession.
Common esthetic dental procedures can be performed to correct misshaped, discolored, chipped or missing teeth. They also can be used to change the overall shape of teeth—from teeth that are too long or short, have gaps, or simply need to be reshaped.
Some of the more common procedures involve:
- Bonding - A procedure in which tooth-colored material is used to close gaps or change tooth color.
- Contouring and reshaping - A procedure that straightens crooked, chipped, cracked or overlapping teeth.
- Veneers - A procedure in which ultra-thin coatings are placed over the front teeth. Veneers can change the color or shape of your teeth. For example, veneers have been used to correct unevenly spaced, crooked, chipped, oddly shaped or discolored teeth.
- Whitening and bleaching - As the term implies, whitening and bleaching, a rapidly increasing procedure, are used to make teeth whiter.
Which techniques should be used to improve your smile? A dental exam will take many factors into consideration, including your overall oral health.
Countless dental surveys have found that Americans place a very high value on the appearance of their teeth. A nice smile tops the list of the most important features to have along with clear skin, bright eyes and beautiful hair. Thanks to innovations in cosmetic dentistry, you can get a perfect smile in just a few appointments at The Smile Dr in Rockford, IL office of Dr. Dean Kokinias.
Why Choose Cosmetic Dentistry?
Any treatment that is performed to improve the look of your teeth falls under the category of cosmetic dentistry. Dental professionals have been administering cosmetic procedures for decades, and in ancient times people used shells, stones and animal bones to create makeshift dental restorations. Today, cosmetic dentistry is a $2.75 billion industry.
Top Cosmetic Treatments
Though patients most often go to the dentist’s office because there’s an urgent problem, some go specifically for a cosmetic solution. Here are some of the top cosmetic treatments used in dental offices across the country:
- Braces (metal and Invisalign)
- Crowns and veneers
- Porcelain inlays, onlays and tooth colored fillings
- Cosmetic bonding and contouring
- Dental implants
- Professional whitening
- Therapy for a “gummy smile,” which is a disproportionate amount of gum tissue and too-small teeth.
You can request these treatments and more at The Smile Dr of Dr. Dean Kokinias.
Getting Your Perfect Smile
In some cases, your dentist will recommend a combination of cosmetic treatments to help you get your perfect smile. For example, your treatment plan may include Invisalign clear aligners to reposition your teeth and professional whitening to make them look brighter. In some cases your dentist might need to use both veneers and crowns to recreate your smile.
Are you interested in restoring your smile?
The Smile Dr offers Cosmetic Dentistry in Rockford, IL
Call our office at (815) 398-5550 to schedule your appointment today!